Scotcountryalbums

Monday, June 20, 2011

KENNY WATSON - Roots Of My Raising (Pan Records)


I really enjoyed Aberdeenshire’s KENNY WATSON’s first album, and he’s been quick to follow it with another. Like his first outing, “The Roots of My Raising” (Pan Records), is a bouncy easy listening set of popular covers, like Glen Campbell “Gentle On My Mind”, Charlie Rich’s “Behind Closed Doors”, Milsap’s “Back On My Mind Again” and of course, the title track, best known for the Hag’s version.
He comes a bit more up to date with “Love Me” (Collin Raye) and “Tonight We Might Just Fall In Love Again” (Hal Ketchum).
There’s a nice Irish feel to “Someone From Home”, written by Nick McCarthy , and featuring some nice accordian from Alistair MacDonald.
“Able Bodied Man” caught my attention, as a song I didn’t recognise. It’s a Charley Pryde song, but not one of the obvious ones. Kenny does a good version of it.
There’s an impressive list of players, including Keith MacLeod, Richard Nelson, Phil Anderson, Gordy Gunn,Stewart Shearer, Manson Grant and Robert Cameron.
The whole album is nice easy listening.It’s an album I really enjoyed.
www.panrecords.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home