Scotcountryalbums

Monday, April 20, 2020

SYDNEY DEVINE - I'm Back (Scotdisc)


Back home, and SYDNEY DEVINE has had a long and colourful career, having started out as part of The White Heather Group in 1953. He has sold records by the millions and sold out theatres all over. And Country music has always been a main part of his music, and without a doubt, responsible for its popularity here in Scotland.
Despite well reported health problems, Sydney keeps busy. He toured Scottish theatres earlier this year, and, in between concerts, spent time in Scotty’s Sound Studios in Kilsyth recording this new album, “I’m Back”.
The title track is one that Sydney has recorded before, and has been something of a signature song for him.  Some of the other songs have also been recorded before, but these are all new recordings.
The album kicks off with Bruce Springsteen’s “Hello Sunshine”. I have to say that Sydney really handles the song really well, and the song stands out on the album.
There are Country favourites like “A Fool Such As I”, “Funny How Time Slips Away”, “Paper Roses”, “57 Chevrolet” and “Half As Much”, alongside pop covers like “Beautiful Dreamer”, “Wedding Bells”, “Are You Lonesome Tonight”  and “Always On My Mind”.
I liked his version of “I’ll Be All Smiles Tonight”, an old song that goes all the way back to The Carter Family, and the gospel classic, “In The Garden”.
“Makes Me Wonder If I Ever Said Goodbye”, an old Johnny Rodriguez song, really stood out for me. It could also sum up Sydney’s career. He’s definitely here for the long haul.  But in the meantime, in the words of the title track, he’s back and the fans know just what to expect- “bring me my usual”!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home